Reunite International
Reunite International Homepage

Parents Forum

Submit a new topic for discussion

Unfortunately there was an error processing your Topic
Please fill in the following numbers into the provided box.
Thank you for creating a new topic for discussion. Your topic will appear on the website shortly.

This forum offers parents the opportunity to voice their own experiences of international parental child abduction, and related issues, and to share useful information with others in a similar situation.

reunite reserve the exclusive right to refuse to publish any submissions at their discretion. Submission of comments does NOT in any way guarantee publication.

Please note all posts are checked by reunite staff before appearing here. Anything considered offensive, defamatory or that may be a contempt of court will NOT be posted.

The views placed on the Forum are independent and are not necessarily the views of reunite.

How to cover costs when return to the UK to attend court after abduction of child

by LInda / Posted 02/04/2009 / Updated 22/06/2009

Hi everyone, my sister is currently trying to recover her son who was abducted by his father whilst on a contact visit to the UK. All parties are British, and my sister was awarded full custody in 2002 with a rights to remove her son to Argentina where she now lives with her new husband. My sister filed an application under the Hague Convention and is currently going through the Court process. She is still in Argentina while the case proceeds as she doesn´t have the funds to pay for accommodation tickets etc whilst waiting for the case to be resolved. The Hague is currently covering her legal bills but she will have to attend court for the final hearing next month. My question is; how does she get help in covering the costs of her trip to the UK and the costs of a ticket for her son (please God that the Court rules in her favor) etc.? Any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you


From Anthea / Posted: 22/06/2009
Get a good legal team. For this question save cost do it yourself. She´d have to file her case with her UK federal police - child abduction department. I´m sure she has an ongoing file with them. They will send her the paperwork she needs for all compensation claims. I did it for my case. My government (Australia) even paid for my airfares. If she qualifies the money the UK government sends her may not be enough to pay for all their bills but with further aid from her local welfare & legal aid departments, family & friends she´ll cope. She must log a record of all her expenditure.This includes dockets for clothes, bank statements as well as other needs including phone bills. Type all paperwork as well as store them in a safe place. Good luck.

Post a response

Please fill in the following numbers into the provided box.