Reunite International
Reunite International Homepage

Parents Forum

Submit a new topic for discussion

Unfortunately there was an error processing your Topic
Please fill in the following numbers into the provided box.
Thank you for creating a new topic for discussion. Your topic will appear on the website shortly.

This forum offers parents the opportunity to voice their own experiences of international parental child abduction, and related issues, and to share useful information with others in a similar situation.

reunite reserve the exclusive right to refuse to publish any submissions at their discretion. Submission of comments does NOT in any way guarantee publication.

Please note all posts are checked by reunite staff before appearing here. Anything considered offensive, defamatory or that may be a contempt of court will NOT be posted.

The views placed on the Forum are independent and are not necessarily the views of reunite.

Proving Habitual residence in Illnois USA

by Danya / Posted 01/10/2010 / Updated 18/01/2012

Hi, I am currently awaiting for a trail date in the State of Illnois USA for the return of my son.
I really do not know what to expect in terms of how long this will take , what to expect or what things I can do in order to be pro-active.
I am British whilst my son has dual nationality and has been living in the UK with me since the age of 3 and attending school in the UK(he is now 9)
I have obtained letters from my sons school but feel completely helpless.
If any one has any experience with dealing with the Illnois court system or any advice on what to do/expect please let me know.
Kind regards


From kellen / Posted: 23/10/2010
There was a case involving Malini Byanna in Illinois. Ironically she´s also a lawyer. Try contacting her office. She may be willing to speak with you as someone who´s been through it.
From pennylane / Posted: 18/01/2012
Hi. I am going through something similar. Spoused left son andmyself in the UK to return to us at a later date and then did a complete u-turn, moved permenantly to the states and has no made a UCCJEA application with the Florida courts for the permenant removal of son to the USA.
Do you have a residence order in effect for your boy?

Post a response

Please fill in the following numbers into the provided box.