Reunite International
Reunite International Homepage

Parents Forum

Submit a new topic for discussion

Unfortunately there was an error processing your Topic
Please fill in the following numbers into the provided box.
Thank you for creating a new topic for discussion. Your topic will appear on the website shortly.

This forum offers parents the opportunity to voice their own experiences of international parental child abduction, and related issues, and to share useful information with others in a similar situation.

reunite reserve the exclusive right to refuse to publish any submissions at their discretion. Submission of comments does NOT in any way guarantee publication.

Please note all posts are checked by reunite staff before appearing here. Anything considered offensive, defamatory or that may be a contempt of court will NOT be posted.

The views placed on the Forum are independent and are not necessarily the views of reunite.

Is it too late?

by Jordan Kieran / Posted 11/10/2008 / Updated 17/03/2009

My wife took our 1 year old daughter from our home in the US to England 3 years ago. Is it too late now to file under the hague convention?


From Phil / Posted: 15/10/2008
Not sure if itīs too late I expect it is for a return ,however you should file for access.
From Jordan Kieran / Posted: 24/10/2008
My wife hasn´t stopped me contacting my daughter but I admit that I havenīt called in six months. If I start contact again is there any chance I could get custody?
From david / Posted: 27/10/2008
I do not know all the circumstances of your case, however how can you possibly think that the Courts will grant you custody if you cannot even keep in contact with your daughter? The Courts generally rule on the best interests of the child. Your lack of contact is not helping your case at all. As you have taken no action for 3 years, there is no automatic return under the Hague Convention, you would need very strong grounds to convince any court to remove a child from what is effectively a īsettledī environment. At best you should be able to obtain an access order under the Hague Convention. The Central Authority should be able to lodge an application on your behalf.
From MM / Posted: 17/03/2009
Jordan, it depends on a few factors. Did you know where your child was for the three years that she has been in England? Did you give her permission to go (and stay) there? If you didn´t know where she was then it should not matter. It takes time to locate a parent who does not want to be found. In that case the location order may still be served on her.If you knew where she was and tried to bring her back and you allowed three years to elapse then you may not be able to file through the Hague. Why not call the authorities there and let them advise you about your options.
From MM / Posted: 17/03/2009
Why havenīt you called in six months? You had better be able to prove to the court that you have a good reason/s to have not contacted your daughter in six months. You still have the right to fight for visitation with her, but I doubt that the court will grant you custody, unless the mother is unfit. Then you may be considered but there still is not guarantee that you will get more than visitation.

Post a response

Please fill in the following numbers into the provided box.